The Bottom Line
- Amazing graphics
- Tons of import cars to choose from
- Racing is very solid and fun
- Customization is limited
- No online play
- Tracks become repetitive
- Graphics are fantastic. The races take place at night and the cars and backgrounds look awesome.
- Lots of modes. Drag, drift, and racing events are availible.
- Loads of cars from Subaru, Mitsubishi, Toyota, and many more.
- There are a lot of customizatin options such as body kits, neon, and custom paint jobs.
- You have to use new upgrades to improve your rep, so you can't always used the parts you want.
- Soundtrack offers nice mix of rock, hip hop, and rap.
Guide Review - Need for Speed Underground Review (Xbox)
The feature that is the most impressive right off the bat are the amazing graphics. The races take place at night and the cars shine, the wet roadway reflects the light, and the tracks are extremely detailed and fantastic looking. Can you say eye candy?
There are several different types of races in NFSU. There is straight racing against up to three other cars. Drift races place you on a closed track where you have to slide around corners and try to make the most tire smoke possible without hitting the wall. Perhaps the best races are the drag races. You line up against three other cars and try to get to the finish line first. Shifting and nitrous boosting at just the right times are critical to winning.
A lof of your time with NFSU is spent upgrading your car. You can upgrade the engine as well as buy things to change the overall look of your car. Spoilers, body kits, neon, window tint, and much more can be changed. You can even create your own custon vinyl for your car to really pimp it out. In order to improve your reputation, you have to use the newest upgrades, so you can't really make the car look like you want it to in later races.
Need for Speed: Underground is excellent and stands as one of the best racers on the Xbox.